Call for Papers: ARTIS@Manchester2016
Materiality, Digital Cultures and Transmission in Translation Studies
Graduate School, Ellen Wilkinson Building, University of Manchester
11-12 November 2016
Organised by @ctismanchester and @ARTISinitiative
Dr Guyda Armstrong (University of Manchester)
Dr Serenella Zanotti (University of Rome)
This two-day event focuses on material and digital cultures, and textual transmission, promoting conversations about how we conceptualise, encounter and research materials and materiality in translation studies. The event provides a space for exploring concepts of materiality in relation to invention, circulation, performance and interpretation, and considers questions such as:
- how do current understandings of materiality in translation studies shape our approach to research design?
- how can conversations in the digital humanities illuminate understandings of translation studies scholars’ relationships with materials, meaning and transmission?
- how do different types of encounter with materials help to produce different ways of knowing?
The event involves scholars who work on issues of materiality and translation, with expertise ranging from medieval manuscripts and early printed books to digital culture and audiovisual formats. These will be accompanied over the two days by presentations from PhD students and early career researchers, a roundtable on the digital humanities and a workshop on the development and application of research methods relevant to the themes of the event.
We welcome proposals (200 words) for 20-minute presentations from relevant disciplinary and theoretical perspectives that engage particularly, but not exclusively with the following thematic areas:
- Relationship between material / digital culture and translation and intercultural studies
- Archival research
- Book history
- Genetic criticism
- Sociology of texts
- Technologies of translation
Deadline for abstracts: 29 July 2016
Notification of acceptance: 9 September 2016
Send abstracts to Rebecca.Tipton@manchester.ac.uk
Full information, including a provisional programme is available at:
Queries can be sent to: Rebecca.Tipton@manchester.ac.uk